Friday, December 19, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland


When you don't drive, there are a few problems. It can be hard to keep your hair looking nice, for example. You can do the hair straightener thing and emerge as quite presentable, but after 10 minutes walking face first into a northeaster, you might as well have styled your hair with a knife and fork.
Also, you can end up carrying a lot of stuff. Gym bags, library books, small children. Trips need to be planned to allow for trade-offs in baggage.
It's hard to wear heels.
And sometimes, even though you're 45, you have to call your mom to ask her to drive you somewhere.
People often ask why I don't drive. "Why don't you drive?" Like that. I always say because I'd be a terrible driver. They always say, "Oh, no you wouldn't." But the thing is oh yes I would. I can't tell my right from my left, I'm often so distracted and daydreamy I'll walk into a street sign, and if you ever saw me trying to operate a piece of complex machinery, like, say, a can opener or a pair of scissors, you would think, "Mother of God, that person must never, never be allowed behind the wheel of a car."
Don't worry. Won't happen.

(Image: wordpress.com)

No comments: