Friday, February 26, 2010

Churchill Square


On my way to campus this morning, I walked through Churchill Square. A man and his daughter came out of Tim Hortons*. She carried a bagel in one hand while he juggled a carton of treats (perhaps muffins!), a smaller paper bag (tea biscuits, maybe, for the more traditional crowd), and balanced two large coffees stacked between the carton and his chin. He took out his car keys and, trying to unlock the car while not spilling his coffee, accidentally beeped the car alarm. Dad, the teenager inquired, what are you doing?
Now, few things are as irksome as being asked what are you doing when it is perfectly obvious what you are doing - in this case, trying to get all hands and all product safely and unsullied aboard a vehicle. A process in which, by the way, you could use some assistance. And the first impulse is to reply, with possibly a touch of sarcasm, What does it look like I'm doing? I myself try to use a response I overheard on an episode of Gilmour Girls. When, under similar circumstances, Rory asked her mother what she was doing, Lorelai said: I'm writing a biography of Winston Churchill. What are you doing?**

(Image: buzzle.com.)

* No apostrophe required since the chain was bought by an American company.
** Reference particularly appropriate as this happened in Churchill Square.

No comments: